Sunday, April 05, 2009

The view from a couple of weeks later…

DSC00105

This pic’s taken from the bar at the bottom of the Solaise after the end of the last day (I had beer, Nic had Vin Chaud o’course) – What a day.

We really motored around, getting all the way around the back of Tignes to the eye of the needle, and then taking a lengthy traverse which comes around the back of the mountain there and back into town. Our route took in all the fantastic blues you can cruise as you make your way from Val Clorets to Tignes the “hard way”.

Nic took some video of me on the “Good” camera so I’ve got a little editing to do to produce something funny, and I took a load of video of guys jumping in the biggest snowpark I’ve ever seen in a resort – Val really pushed the boat out, the park at the bottom of the Borsat express was breathtaking – 4 triples all lined up and plenty of loons willing to have a go (I didn’t , BTW!)

DSC00075 This year something special happened to my boarding: I learned to lean forwards enough: I learned how to ride the front edge with confidence, facing the direction of travel at speed without need to turn sideways and crouch: I learned to board without getting exhausted by a run!! I can make it down long blues without stopping, running fast and true.

I really really enjoyed this year – and as we sat and enjoyed the beer before we went back to the chalet for a final stupendous dinner I reflected and said to Nic that I was done for the year. Now that’s what I want to hear, that I’m satisfied with what I’ve managed to do in a season. Compared to my boarding a couple of years ago, I’m a different person. Excellent.

Val did not fail to give all the snow we needed, all over again.